DE AGRARISTAS UNIVERSITARIOS
para el Derecho Agrario y el Derecho Alimentario
XV WORLD CONGRESS
IN HONOR OF ALFREDO MASSART
We are glad to communicate the organizational news of the XV World Congress in Poznan, Poland. For reasons beyond our control, we are compelled to return to the dates initially communicated:
September 18, 2018 (afternoon): arrival of guests, registration and official opening.
September 19 to 21, 2018: Continuation of registration. Development of the congress. In addition to presentations, there will be time for each participant to show their publications (books and reprints can be taken) and results of their research (posters).
September 22, 2018: optional excursion for participants.
Official languages: English, Spanish, Polish and Italian. We are working so that there is simultaneous translation to those languages.
The central topic of the Congress: "Current challenges of agrarian law: between globalization, regionalism and localism".
Attached you can find more details about the orientation of the paper and different possible topics as suggestions.
We recommend with great emphasis to send as soon as possible to the official UMAU e.mail (email@example.com) the title of the paper and a brief summary, in order to be accepted by the Scientific Committee.
The language used to write the paper could be Spanish, English, Italian, French or Portuguese. Those who submit their work in Portuguese or French, should present it in some official language (English, Spanish, Polish and Italian) to facilitate simultaneous translation.
The final deadline to submit the paper is March 30, 2018. There will be available a template to be used to write the paper (it is necessary for editing the book). Intellectual rights of each paper must be transferred in order to publish the book. Also, the Polish co-organizers offer the possibility to translate any paper into Polish to publish it in that language as well.
It will be soon available a web site for the congress (registration form, information about arrival and hotels…).
We will offer information about the fee payment system. It will be necessary to pay in advance the Congress fees. We will inform about the payment deadline. Any payment of the fee Congress at the beginning of the event will not be accepted. “Paypal” system will be available. Members of the UMAU will be able to pay the fees (quota) of the
Association at the conference.
CONGRESS REGISTRATION FEES:
a) UMAU Active members: 50 euros. According to the status of payment of social contributions (quotas) as of December 31, 2016, it is considered an “Active member” any person who does not owe quotas beyond the last six years (except in the case that has been officially exonerated).
b) Other participants: 250 euros. It was necessary to increase this fee because the congress is committed to having simultaneous translation. The registration fees includes the delivery of the congress book.
c) Accompanying persons who participate in the sessions and meals offered by the organization (without book): 180 euros. In case of accompanying of an Active member (without book): 50 euros.
In case of presenting posters, you can do it individually or in groups. One of the presenters must be physically present at the congress and must pay the corresponding fee as an active member or not, and will have access to the congress book. The co-authors attending the congress, must also pay the fees (as active members or not, depending on the case). In case of co-authors non-UMAU active members that are not attending the congress, they must pay 50 euros to be entitled to the certificate.
Gala dinner: 50 euros. This sum for active members will be paid by the UMAU.
Regarding the content of the papers and selection of the topic by each participant, the general topic of the Congress is "Current challenges of agrarian law: between globalization, regionalism and localism".
However, we want to remember that:
1) Our association is composed by professors and researchers in agricultural law, so the subject should refer mainly to the law and agricultural law in particular. The conceptualization of phenomena such as globalization or regionalism, the interdisciplinary with which issues are addressed are important, but we must give relevance to the content of agrarian law.
2) These are challenges, that is, new problems generated because of the tension between global, regional and local interests. The amplitude of the main topic of the congress does not allow presenting a paper about any institution of agrarian law if it is not under that idea.
3) We should discuss about current challenges. So historical issues and institutions that do not generate any type of question or problem in relation to the global and local or regional are discarded.
It would be interesting to raise issues of common interest, because we are members of an association with a global pretension, and those issues that favour the comparative study among countries or the exchange of solutions to the shared problems.
Without dealing with subtopics, we can point out, in an exemplary way:
1) The national policies of application or fulfilment of the objectives set by the United Nations in the document: "Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development". The majority of the objectives involve agrarian, agro-food and agro-environmental rights.
2) The national policies of application of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, especially those that have passed normative instruments for the livestock, forestry and agriculture sectors.
3) Regional or mega-regional agreements that introduce changes in the rules of trade in agricultural products or that may propose novel concepts or instruments with potential repercussions on domestic rights.
4) The concrete strategies for the valorisation of agricultural activities and their products, the local traditions, culture and landscapes (geographical indications, appellations of origin, typical products, wine roads, etc.) to face their homogenization and the effects of the globalization of markets, the territorial issue of agriculture and the new rurality.
5) Other institutes that are born and / or developed from the tensions between global, regional and local points of view: Water footprint, carbon footprint, environmental services of agriculture, social agriculture.
6) The impact of the global economy of agricultural products on the business organization, the dimension of the economic unit and the concrete measures to regulate them as well as the instruments to face the tension between producers and holders of technologies and biotechnologies in the hands of multinationals. Within these, the tensions between holders of breeder's rights or biotechnological patents and the efforts of local communities to value and preserve native and creole seeds and varieties and defend the interests of local communities.
7) Legal instruments and national policies linked to national sovereignty over natural resources and their consideration as strategic resources.